Med-e-Screen: Democratizing Access to Quality Healthcare

 Med-e-Screen: Democratizing Access to Quality Healthcare


We believe in accessible and affordable healthcare for all.

Find me on: Linkedin_icon

As a medical doctor specializing in urology, Raymond Campbell, founder of Med-e-screen, realised that the South African health care system needs improvement. He says, “It is not sustainable that only 15 percent of a population have medical aid. What about the other 85 percent? It is like they must fend for themselves.” With this in mind, he has set out on a mission to combine medical care with technology, with the aim of creating a more inclusive and affordable health care system.

Using diagnostics, Med-e-screen’s Medi-pack provides an all-encompassing assessment of its patient’s health. The “defined basket of diseases” that the Medi-pack focuses on, includes “big ticket items” like hypertension, strokes, TB, HIV and diabetes. Raymond says that the Medi-pack is designed to test these things as they are the most fatal in South Africa. “We want to do the most good for the most people,” he says.

Part of the vision behind the Medi-pack is to provide medical care to those individuals in rural areas
and to help them get their results in a timely manner via their smartphones. The idea of sending results to the tested individual’s cell phone is supported by the penetration rate of cell phones in South Africa.

Raymond says, “South Africa probably has one of the highest cell phone penetration rates in the world. It is seldom that you will find, in 2023, someone who does not have a phone.”

The assessment of the Medi-pack’s results can be divided into two factors: “A score out of 100; the higher it is, the better the shape you are in. We also [divide] it into colours; green, yellow and amber”, says Raymond. Green indicates that the user does not need to see someone urgently. “We will never say that you do not need to see someone,” he says. Yellow indicates that the user needs to see someone “within a reasonable time” and amber indicates that the user needs to see someone “as soon as possible”.

Dr Raymond Campbell with Mircosoft's then Vice-president; Brian Smith.
Dr Raymond Campbell with Mircosoft's then Vice-president; Brian Smith.

The value of Med-e-screen’s innovative technology was first recognized by Microsoft’s Vice President, Brad Smith in 2018. Thereafter the Medi-pack featured in Microsoft’s top 10 global innovations of 2019 and was also showcased at the World Economic Forum as one of the technologies to watch by Microsoft’s CEO, Satya Nadella. Raymond says, “Since then we have added to it. If it was good then, it is really awesome now.”

The Medi-pack has been the catalyst for a number of Med-e-screen’s success stories. One of these stories include the roll-out of the Medi-pack in the Mamelodi Day Hospital, where the time that it takes to get blood test results were reduced to 30 minutes as appose to the original three hours. This especially helped pregnant women and their unborn children as any pregnancy concerns could be addressed promptly.

Med-e-screen’s technology is a way to bridge the gap between the scarce number of medical professionals, and the number of individuals who need medical care. “What you are doing is you are flattening the hierarchy and breaking the silos, and this is what technology does,” says Raymond.

Raymond says that Med-e-screen is more than just a screening tool. In his eyes, it serves as a
proactive solution to healthcare because you can “check-in” every day, and “stay aware of your
health status instead of waiting for something to go wrong before you consult a doctor.
The next roll-out of Med-e-screen’s Medi-packs will take place be in Kuruman, Northern Cape in
January 2024.


Related post


  • Love this brilliant initiative. It will change the entire Healthcare landscape.

  • […] rushing off to Mamelodi to meet Dr. Oupa, a medical professional interested in partnering with Med-e-Screen. My first question seems straightforward: “You raised half a million Rand in twenty-four […]

  • […] Juran’s plans don’t involve stopping to build brands. Rather, his plans include the writing of a book. “In the future I would like to write a book about brand and story-telling.” Besides the book, Juran would like to be known as one of the biggest brand builders in Africa, “I started this conversation by saying a brand is a story, and so it’s me getting the narrative of this brand across successfully.” Juran explains that in 20 years from now, he would like to be remembered as someone who built big, life-changing brands. A few of the brands he is currently intensely involved in is Fio Media, Fio Connect Café, and Med-e-Screen. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *